Here are some photos of the before, during and after process.
Fabric and padding had perished or torn in many places due to all the love it has received in its time. At one stage our two little chihuahuas had even claimed it as their own. Much of the chair was originally just nailed together and this would not work if it were to survive another decade or so, and one chair leg was broken with another at an awkward angle.
As we pulled the perished fabric off the chair I took photos in case we needed to refer to them when putting the new cover on. We found all sorts of kids small toys and pencils that had been lost inside the chair over the years. There was even a pair of scissors! Yikes! I don't want to even think about that one.
The arms of the chair needed to be removed to allow easy access to the rest of the chair for recovering.
They were only nailed on so this was an easy job with a mallet and some muscle.
We added new padding before stapling on the new fabric covers.
The feet have now been fixed and screwed into place. Hopefully they will stay in place longer than they did being nailed on.
The fabric for the arms needed a little sewing to fit properly, but the rest was stapled before we attached the arms back on the chair, with screws.
A new back on the chair, I photographed this upsidedown as we then added a base to stop any critters making their home in the bottom of the chair.
The finished Chair!